Fats/Oil/Grease Separation and Reforming Technology for Power Generation
wastewater derived from daily preparation and consumption of foods contains a lot of fats, oils and grease (FOG). FOG has been increasing proportionally by the world population growth and it has caused a serious
pollution on rivers and seas.
FOG normally exists as small lumps on a surface of wastewater.
In general, 60 tons of wastewater are required to purify a 200ml cup of FOG.
TBM Co., Ltd. has two innovative techniques to reuse FOG:
1) Technique for the perfect separation and collection of FOG from wastewater.
2) Reforming technique of collected FOG in a new bio fuel for an electricity generator.
TBM Co., Ltd. realizes a new green power generation system that protects our water environment. This system helps to achieve the various objectives of SDGs: reduction of urban and industrial wastes, reduction of the organic loading rate in sewage water, creation of green energy.
Major Features and Advantages
Our FOG-green power generation system exploits the potentiality of FOG, which is one of the most serious causes of environmental pollution.
Not only in emerging nations but also in developed countries, FOG flowing into rivers and seas heavily contaminate them by pollution substances. Our FOG-green power generation system exploits the potential of FOG, which is previously disposed as a waste. Today, unexplored resource can help to achieve the 5 objectives of SDGs:
1) FOG from “waste” to “resource” to create green electricity (cf. SDGs No.7).
2) Convert FOG into a new biofuel (cf. SDGs No.9).
3) Stimulate the circular economy with the reuse of FOG as a resource to create electricity (cf. SDGs No.11).
4) Realize the perfect purification of wastewater and reuse of FOG (cf. SDGs No.12).
5) Reduce the organic loading rate (cf. SDGs No.14).
Collection of FOG from wastewater should be conducted at first. If a grease trap or a wastewater pit are already installed, FOG is easily picked up by hands. Also, installation of such facilities can be prepared by local shops in developing countries. Moreover, TBM Co., Ltd can offer the automatic grease trap system, called “Kankichi-kun Jr.”.
With our introduction of the system, the following 5 benefits can be obtained especially in a densely populated territory such as urban settlements, residential areas, tourist villages, shopping malls, food factories, etc.:
1) Optimize the functioning capacity of water and wastewater networks.
2) Safeguard from the pollution of rivers and seas.
3) Eliminate olfactory pollution.
4) Improve the hygiene of the environment.
5) Incentivize a sustainable tourism.
Furthermore, our FOG-green power generation system will create many employment opportunities in every phase of business. For instance, collecting FOG, operating and managing a biomass power plants, etc.
This reforming technology can be applied for a variety of FOG. Even though, utilizing palm oil might be an issue due to its chemical property. If you would like to treat FOGs mixed with palm oil, technical instruction and consultation by TBM Co., Ltd. is mandatory.
The biofuel for FOG-green power generation system is called Straight Mixed Oils (SMO). The chemical property of SMO completely differs from BDF in the following points:
1) Throughout the production of SMO,
・No chemical synthesis and chemical additives are used.
・No harmful by-products (ex. glycerol)
Residual sludge are recovered and can be utilized as resources for methane gas (via fermentation reaction) which can be also burned for power generation.
2) Complete combustion (no ash left)
Generally, by reforming 1 ton of FOG collected, 600L of SMO can be recovered (recovery rate: approx. 60%).
According to the calculation by the National Institute for Environmental Studies in Japan, 20 gigawatt-hour (GWh) are generated from 10,000 tons of FOG, resulting 30,000 tons of CO2 are reduced.
TBM Co., Ltd. has been planning to apply this technology for a large number of stores located in Tokyo and neighboring prefectures. It can be estimated that 110kt/year of FOG collected produce 70kt/year of SMO, which generate 280 GWh/year of electricity. This synergetic effect could be equivalent to the reduction of 370kt-CO2 emission, by decreasing the organic load to sewage plants and the amount of petroleum consumed for thermal power generation.
If our FOG-green power generation system will be introduced, we can reduce urban and industrial wastes, organic loading rate in sewage water and create green energy.
Technical maturity / Past record of introduction
1) Since April 2017, the FOG-green power generation system’s power plant (Saitama prefecture) generates 100KW x 24 hours x 365 days.
2) Management and control of wastewater treatment in more than 400 restaurants, hamburger chains etc. in the Tokyo metropolitan area.
3) From 2016 to 2017, under the auspice of NEDO, we have executed the project “Locavorism of green energy” in the Musashino municipality, Tokyo. Our FOG-green power generation system was introduced in to 160 stores in the commercial district of this the municipality. In this area, FOG was collected which was equivalent to 47GWh of electricity per year.
4) We are proceeding the installation of our green power plants in various municipalities: Yokohama city, Tokorozawa city and Toshima-ku of metropolitan Tokyo.
Information on patent related to this technology
Mobile vacuum FOG separator (No. 3216173) and many others.
TBM Co., Ltd.
|Address||5-1586 Mikajima Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan|
17,350,000 Yen (as of 18th September, 2018)
Mr. Seigo Higashi
|Number of employees||10 persons (as of 18th September, 2018)|
|Date of company foundation||1st September, 1999|
|Type of business||Research and engineering services to keep our water environment clean|
|Number of employees for international operation
|City, Country||Name of Company (if applicable)|
Homepage of TBM CO., Ltd. http://kankichikun.com/english/
Modality of business transaction
In the first step, we produce and export our machines. International collaborators will be entrusted with the maintenance of the machines.
In the second step, we will totally entrust the production and the management of our FOG-green power generation system to collaborators.
Licensing of patent
In the first step, we produce and export the machines. International collaborators will be entrusted with the maintenance of machines.
In the second step, on the basis of the license agreement contract, the international collaborators will be totally entrusted with the production and the management of our FOG-green power generation system.
Schematic illustration of the technology
*Please mention that you saw UNIDO's website when making the first contact with the company.
- Low carbon & energy conservation : Industry / Energy efficiency / Renewable energy
- Prevention & destruction of pollution : Industrial waste water / Urban and living environment
- Waste treatment & management : Industrial waste