STePP Demo Result in Viet Nam
Two projects as below have been implemented in Viet Nam.
The health care system has been rapidly improving in Vietnam, yet many hospitals still face challenges in hygiene management. A number of hospitals do not have the appropriate water-purifying equipment to eliminate various viruses and bacteria, including COVID-19. This has exposed medical workers and patients to the risk of secondary infection. In addition, according to a 2016 report by the World Bank, 10% to 40% of the food in Vietnam was found to be contaminated with microbes or parasites. Improved hygiene practices in food-processing factories and quality control in the value chain are required not only for the nation’s health but also for the economy and its broader industries.
Overview of the Project
UNIDO installed equipment that produces hypochlorous acid water in a medical facility and in a food-processing factory, with the goal of improving hygiene in the Vietnamese health care and food industries. The commissioning and training took place online, while collected data showed the system’s effectiveness. Furthermore, the project established the organizational health management system within the hospital and the factory by training leaders to oversee the team and ensure proper sanitation practices. The training was carried out to ensure proper management, operations, and maintenance, as well as sustainable behavioral practices.
City, Country Ho Chi Minh and Danang, VIET NAM
Counterparts • DCSElab, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology
• University of Danang
• Hoa Vang General Hospital
• Yen Viet Joint Stock Company
Key Outcomes • 8 sets of hypochlorous acid water production equipment installed
• 218 health care workers benefitted from the project
• 198 food-processing company workers benefitted from the project
• 69% of the beneficiaries were female
• 224,000 hospital patients and 106,000 consumers benefitted from this project through
Name AGC INC.
Address Shin-Marunouchi Bldg., 1-5-1 Marunouchi Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8405, Japan
Capital 90,873 million JPY
Contact Person. Mr. Masaaki Okabe
Telephone: +81- 050-9014-4370
The type of business Manufacturing and sales of Glass, Electronics, Chemicals, Ceramics/Other
“We are pleased to receive equipment on hypochlorous acid water from Japan, which helps to eradicate bacteria and virus including COVID-19. The equipment is compact and easy to operate; we were excited to learn how this product can improve hygiene conditions in our hospital.”
Dr. Hoan HAI, The University of Danang
In the Mekong Delta district of Vietnam, supplying safe drinkable water to households has become difficult due to the severe contamination of natural water sources. In Soc Trang Province, domestic water supplies fail to meet national drinking water standards; nearly half the residents lack an adequate drinking water supply, and two-thirds lacked basic sanitation in 2015. According to a national survey, almost all households expressed the need for a water purifier, which could immensely enhance water quality and lessen the risk of water-borne diseases such as the influenza virus and MS2 virus.
Overview of the Project
UNIDO installed built-in water purifiers using activated carbon made from rice husks in about 200 hospitals and schools supplied with water by the Center for Rural Water Supply and Sanitation (CRWSS) in Soc Trang Province. The installed rice husk-activated carbon filters removed 99.9% of E.coli and general bacteria at the site. The project not only contributed to reducing the risk of waterborne infectious diseases but also improved sanitation in public spaces. The project also provided a technical seminar to for further dissemination within Vietnam.
City, Country • Soc Trang Province, VIET NAM
Counterparts • Soc Trang Province Centre for Rural Water Supply and Sanitation (CRWSS)
• CONG TY TNHH SAN XUAT THUONG MAI DICH VU HIKARU
• S-TAIL ecp Inc.
Key Outcomes • 200 sets of water purification systems installed
• Installed in 150 schools, 13 hospitals, 10 medical centers, and 27 clinics
• 11 engineers and operators trained
• Purified water meets the national standard for drinking water
Name Tromso Co., Ltd.
Address 5265, Innoshima Shigei-cho, Onomichi-city, Hiroshima, 722-2102, Japan
Capital 3 million JPY
Contact Person Mr. Yuichi YANAKA
The type of business Production and sales of rice husk briquette machine
- “UNIDO’s project accepts AGC ion exchange membrane technology (English).” by AGC (17/11/2020
- “Announcement adoption by UNIDO (Japanese)” by Kanazawa Industry (11/11/2020)
- “The University of Danang connected with Japanese businesses to provide medical equipment to Hoa Vang Hospital in Da Nang city (Vietnamese and English)” by The University of Danang (02/03/2021)
- “The University of Da Nang cooperates with Japanese organizations and enterprises to organize the seminar on the transfer of equipment, electrolyte technology for water disinfection Aqua pulita into practice in Vietnam (Vietnamese)” by The University of Danang (19/04/2021)
- “Aqua pulita electrolyte water generator – an effective antimicrobial agent in the prevention of Covid-1 (Vietnamese)” by Danang software association (20/04/2021)