Press-in Technology (Eco- friendly Piling Works), Construction Revolution and Disaster Recovery Technology
【Silent Piler and Press-in Method】
iken manufactures a piling machine called Silent Piler™ and offers various construction technologies with the Press-in Method, to worldwide. The Silent Piler™ characteristics, including but not limited to, low noise, no vibration, and compactness, which allow to work in constrained areas, such as overwater, restricted headroom, and construction sites along existing buildings.
One of the representative Press-in Methods, Non-Staging Method, provides benefit to the total construction work as it allows the installation of piles without a temporary stage, and hence reduces the construction cost and period.
The Silent Piler grips the previously installed piles with the hydraulically operated Clamps. The next pile is then gripped by the Chuck at the press-in point and jacked into the ground with the static load generated by the hydraulic rams.
During the jacking, penetration resistance comprising of skin friction, toe resistance and interlock resistance occurs. It has the effect to convert a press-in force to a reactive lifting force but it is a greater force, provided by the extraction resistance of the reaction piles that resist this. Consequently, the down-stroke force acts on the pile to penetrate the ground.
Major Features and Advantages
- Press-in Method will not generate environmental pollution from construction such as noise and vibration.
- Silent Piler is so light and compact that its extent of the piling activities can be minimised.
- Pre-fabricated piles produced at the plant are pressed in directly, so high-quality completed piles can be built with peace of mind.
- Multiple sets of compact machines and apparatuses can be used at the same time to greatly shorten the construction period.
- Speedy piling progress is available, because there are least limits in working hours even at highly restricted areas and night works.
- All machines are so compact that it is not necessary completely close active traffics.
- The performance of piles can be checked and controlled during the construction, allowing high-quality completed piles to be built
【Environmental Load Reduction】
Prevent environmental pollution such as noise and vibration.
Reference: Summary of Technology / Product
【No impact on the surrounding environment】
Minimize site acquisition and relocation.
Reference: Major Features and Advantages
【Disaster Risk Reduction and Restoration】
・Design and Construction of Resilient Implant Wall.
・Resilient River Revetment and Seawall.
・Disaster-prevention Levee against Earthquakes and Tsunamis.
・Disaster-prevention Berth by Pre-loaded Cantilevered Quay Wall.
・Seismic Isolation Technology against Liquefaction.
・Seismic Reinforcement on Road, Railways and Bridge.
・Restraining Wall for Landslide Prevention.
Fig. 8 Construction of highway and seawall
- Press-in Method won’t generate environmental pollution such as noise and vibration.
- Non-Staging Method can solve some construction problems.
・No Temporary Structures are Required.
・It can work in Tight Conditions where Conventional Methods are Difficult.
・Respectful of the Surrounding Area.
・Excellent Safety with No Risk of Overturning.
- Construction of structural wall under headroom restriction site is possible without impacting the surrounding environment, i.e. Traffic by using Overhead Clearance Method.
- Installation of piles by Press-in Method achieves high rigidity and retainability.
Ex. Silent Piler【Standard Model】 (Specification)
Applicable sheet piles: U Sheet Pile 400, 500, 600mm etc.
Max. Press-in Force: 800 kN
Max. Extraction Force: 900 kN
Stroke: 800 mm
Press-in Speed: 2.5～35.7 meter/min
Extraction Speed: 1.9～26.9 meter/min
Control System: Radio Control
Power Source: Diesel Engine (hydraulic pressure)
・Clean Emission in Compliance with Off-Road / Non-Road Law.
(EEC97/68EC Stage IIIA and EPA/CARB Tier 3)
・Satisfying Ultra-Low Noise Standard. (Less than 64dB)
・Standard Application of Biodegradable Hydraulic Oil.
Technical maturity / Past record of introduction
Since the machine has been introduced to the market in 1975, Press-in Method has been adopted in more than 40 countries worldwide.
We have manufactured approximately 4000 machines and exported to all over Japan and the world.
Press-in Method has been adopted in the following countries;
Senegal, Egypt, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Philippines, China, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Taiwan, Indonesia, Australia, USA, Canada, Mexico, UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, Russia, Denmark and etc.
Information on patent related to this technology
Original patent was expired.
Kochi Head Office：
|Capital||8,731 million JPY|
|Number of employees||597 (consolidated, as of 31 August 2019)|
|Date of company foundation||January 1978 / Established in 1967|
|The type of business||
Manufacturer of construction machinery
|Number of employees for international operation
|Overseas offices||City, Country||Name of Company (if applicable)|
|New York, USA||
GIKEN AMERICA CORPORATION
GIKEN EUROPE B.V.
GIKEN SEISAKUSHO ASIA PTE., LTD.
J STEEL GROUP PTY LIMITED
Shanghai Office GIKEN LTD.
Modality of business transaction
1. Sell machines to local partner companies and provide guidance on press-in technology.
2. Use local partner companies as sales agents and consign the sales of our products.
3. Receive the order of the construction and construct.
Schematic illustration of the technology
GIKEN Website: https://www.giken.com/en/
Corporate Profile: https://www.giken.com/en/company/corporate-profile/
Video Gallery: https://www.giken.com/en/video_gallery/
Corporate Profile: https://www.giken.com/en/video/corporate-profile/
Resilient Implant Levee: https://www.giken.com/en/video/resilient-implant-levee/
Seawall Upgrading Work: https://www.giken.com/en/video/seawall-upgrading-work/
*Please mention that you saw UNIDO's website when making the first contact with the company.
- Agribusiness Technologies : Adaptation to climate change
- Disaster Management Technologies : Disaster prevention and preparedness